[Xorp-hackers] PIM-SM / PIM-Bidir doubt about (*,G) entries.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Feb 16 15:42:45 PST 2007

>        bty i have doubt about what do you really mean by routing
> instance !! Is it that there will be PimBidirNode which will keep all
> information ( about routing table , Vifs belonging to routing tables
> ,routing option configuration,etc).

I assume there will be a PimNode that will have its flag "is_bidir"
flag set to true or false. Most of the existing code inside PimNode
won't be modified. Only where the PIM-SM and PIM-Bidir processing is
different, the "is_bidir()" method can be used to differentiate
between them.

The implementation details can be different from what I describe
above, but I don't see the reason for duplicating most of the stuff
from PimNode to PimBidirNode. Also, have in mind that the is_bidir
flag might be changed on-the-fly (via xorpsh), so your code needs to
take this into account.

>        Is there any condition where multiple  instances of same
> protocol (say PIM-SM) may exists on same router ? or Routing instance
> per PIM-SM means per router in domain ?

In the future we would like to run multiple protocol instances (or
even XORP instances), but we are not there yet.

>         Then now do we have to make completely new pimbidir4.tp file &
> PimBidirNode & implitment completely separate Bidir module which can
> inherit common functionality from PIM-SM :)  ........... OR just use
> same pimsm4.tp & enable bidir flag in it (i.e Per PimSM instance ) &
> thn enable/call new/separate BidirNode from it which will maintain it
> own routing table , Vifs belonging to routing tables ,routing option
> configuration,etc !!

Just same pimsm4.tp with enable-bidir flag in it. Changing this flag
(e.g., via xorpsh) will invoke the appropriate XRL that will change
the "is_bidir" flag inside PimNode.

Regards,
Pavlin