[Xorp-hackers] Events and sockets in XORP

Victor Faion vfaion at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 09:24:37 PST 2009

Hello,

I was trying to use XORP to create an application layer protocol with
the routers sending messages to each other over TCP sockets. I created
a XORP process following the guide about static routes, but I still
don't understand some things such as when functions of the process get
called. For example in the main function of the process there is an
event loop. How do the events correspond to functions called, and how
do you generate events? For example how would you trigger a function
call on receipt of a message? Also a more general question, I am
trying to use the socket library provided by XORP and run this code on
top of XORP, but I'm not sure if I should be making a XORP process to
do this or is there another way of using the XORP socket library? (I
also wanted to extract the shortest paths calculated by OSPF and use
these to open socket connections instead of sending packets.)

Victor