[Xorp-hackers] Compile problems for Xorp on Fedora 11.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jun 25 10:20:51 PDT 2009

On 06/25/2009 09:51 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> What is radically different about Fedora's shipping GCC compiler that
> requires these changes -- have they moved to a radically newer version?
> Pardon my ignorance, I don't use Fedora.
>
> The #ident pragma is useful as it's a compiler mandated way of embedding
> object IDs in which can then be retrieved using the 'ident' command from
> binutils (or compatible toolchains). It even works with MinGW in Windows.

What would you use this for?

> Whilst #ident is not part of the current ISO C++ standard, it has been
> generally supported by most UNIX C++ compilers for years. So this
> strikes me more as a regression on Fedora's part.
>
> Can we be sure that this isn't due to a change in Fedora's shipped gcc
> spec file?

[greearb at ben-dt2 git]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)

I've no particular idea why it complains.  It seems to be only a warning, but
I think xorp is using -Werr or something like that.  Seemed easier to comment
out all the idents instead of digging further as I wasn't aware of any useful
features derived from #ident.

Ben