[Xorp-hackers] XRL/Thrift

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Nov 2 16:23:49 PST 2009

On 11/02/2009 10:12 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>>
>> Do you have an estimate for when you plan to post your changes?
>
> That's a very good question. At the moment, no, but I'll pick one out of
> the hat.
>
> I'll be conservative, and say XRL/Thrift may be ready to go sometime in
> mid December; that's not an official milestone, and please, don't hold
> me to it.
>
> It's the beginning of November now. I am the only developer, as far as I
> know, working near-full-time on the community XORP branch, so I'm sure
> you can appreciate there's a lot of pressure involved.
>
> It's difficult to stay focused on that goal, and still provide lifeline
> support here, so I am trying to keep ahead as much as possible. I know
> I've had support requests from people on these lists which I have sadly
> had to drop packet on for this reason.
>
> What I'll do now is post an update about where I'm at, and try to think
> of tasks which other people could potentially pitch in on.
>
> For the foreseeable future, this is going to involve C++ hacking. That's
> just how it is -- but there are other ways in which people can get
> involved with the project, e.g. documentation, support, tracking down bugs.
>
> One really interesting thing which people have asked for, is a Linux
> version of the LiveCD. This would be a great third party developer
> contribution for someone to get involved with.

Our Ubuntu-based 9.10 live-cd has Xorp on it (as well as our LANforge
product and some other things).  But, one could simply ignore our
stuff and run xorp from the command line...

It's currently behind a password (freely given upon registration).  I'll
think about making it directly downloadable...

Ben