[Xorp-hackers] Heads up: shared libraries enabled by default in svn

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Nov 26 15:33:19 PST 2009

In r11592, shared libraries are now the default. Now that regression
tests pass with shared linkage, this seems reasonable.

Most of the features we need to turn on are available with other ELF
linkers, although the options may be named differently.

My understanding is that both Intel C/C++ and LLVM know how to use the
GNU-style options, so the only system I can think of where this will
break out of the box, is Solaris with the SunStudio toolchain installed.

In r11591 I committed a change to emit a warning if the GNU linker is
not available.

cheers,