[Xorp-hackers] Heads up: extensive XORP library renaming, r11624

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Nov 27 01:16:34 PST 2009

Hi all,

In preparation for a 1.7 maintenance release, I've made a number of
commits which clean up the library naming convention.

This is to facilitate installation in shared system paths without
clashing with other packages, which was called out as an issue on
xorp-users@ in the last month or so.

The tree should be settled down as of SVN rev 11624 on trunk.
If there are any problems building from source, please let me know.

All shared XORP libraries, with the exception of the XRL RPC stubs, are
now named 'libxorp_*.so'.
The client-side stubs are now named 'libxif_foo.so', and the target
stubs are now named 'libxst_foo.so'.

These changes should also make it clearer for systems administrators
that the libraries belong to XORP, without having to resort to a tedious
reverse lookup in a packaging system's database, just to determine where
a library came from.

An additional benefit is that the output of the ldd(1) command should be
clearer, which should help 3rd party developers, as well as package
maintainers aiming to ship XORP in a distribution.

I plan to enable rtld ORIGIN support so the package can be relocated
without recompilation, and to bring the installation image layout into
line with BSD hier(7) / UNIX Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) 2.3.

thanks,