[Xorp-hackers] Adding support for older scons releases?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Sep 28 20:05:33 PDT 2009

J.T. Conklin wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:
>
>> I tried to compile xorp on Fedora 8.  It has scons 0.98 by default (yum install scons).
>>
>> This fails to compile with:
>>
>> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
>> SCons 1.2 or greater required, but you have SCons 0.98.4
>>

>> Anyone know what part of xorp has the requirements for newer scons?  In order to make
>> xorp easier for users to build, I'd like to attempt to fix up xorp to build with older
>> scons, as opposed to making people manually find, download, configure and install a
>> newer scons...
>>

> Hi Ben,
>
> I added the EnsureSConsVersion(1, 2) when someone tried to an earlier
> version without support for Variables().
>
> 1.2 was the earliest version I had handy.  If we can verify it works
> with an earlier version, we can change the version number accordingly.
> If you can confirm it works with 0.98.4, I think we can change it to
> EnsureSConsVersion(0, 98, 4).

It certainly compiles.  Unless some random conditional test acted
differently, then
it would appear to work fine.

There should be a comment in the code near that call or at least in the
commit
message that explains the limitation of earlier scons packages in case
someone wants
to write work-around logic to compile on yet older systems.