[Xorp-hackers] Xorp project development.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Mar 22 09:46:21 PDT 2010

I came to xorp after the bulk of the (public) project had already
been written, so I never really knew many of the original developers.

With the latest churn, I have even less idea.

I don't actually know who has the authority to discuss bigger changes
(like what is found in my xorp.ct tree).  I want to come to some sort
of understanding with them before I put any real effort into breaking
out small patches for upstream SVN.

My own preference is to push all of xorp.ct to SVN, accept patches for
another month or so, freeze a branch for release, and put out a
snapshot 1.7.  If no one complains in a week or two, call 1.7 done
and start on 1.8.  As long as useful work is going into the tree, do
a release 2-4 times a year, with smaller updates more often as needed.

If the project leaders do not want to merge at least most of xorp.ct,
then I'll keep it going and merge what I can of upstream SVN into
xorp.ct if/when any changes go upstream, but I will not be actively
developing against the SVN tree.

I would like to hear opinions on this from everyone involved in xorp,
and especially from whoever is the project leader and can make such
decisions for the SVN tree.