[Xorp-hackers] Distributed FEA on multiiple hosts with different FE implementation

Zweimüller, Boris Boris.Zweimueller at albistechnologies.com
Tue Dec 13 00:47:10 PST 2011

Hi all

I want to build a distributed router with multiple hosts and with different FE implementations on each host (one very hw specific).

Does the current XORP version already support distributed FEA? I read something about it,but I am not sure wether this really works.

Actually what I want to have ist the follwoing:

Machine A:
- All routing and management processes
- FEA1 together with FE for given OS/HW

Machine B, Hardware Type B:
- FEA2 together with FE for given OS/HW (different FE than A).

Now, the management hardware on machine A should be able to decide that a XRL configuring a port on machine B should go to the FEA2 on machine B.

Is this possible? And if yes, can you point me to an example configuration?

Thanks Boris