[Xorp-hackers] Q on MP-BGP and LDP

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Sep 26 15:58:49 PDT 2012

On 09/26/2012 03:43 PM, ravi kerur wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on developing LDP for Quagga and due to issues (some technical and non-technical) I am reaching out to XORP as an alternate solution and
> wanted to get some technical insight into contributing to XORP.
>
> 1. I see RFC 2858 mentioned in bgp/specs directory, I am assuming MP-BGP support is available in current XORP code base?

I don't know..haven't used more than just the basics for BGP.

> 2. Does XORP take advantage of multi-core SMP processors? I believe Quagga has a bottleneck architecture here, please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, at least to some degree.  But, I'm not sure it would be any faster since there is a lot
of overhead in the IPC message passing.

> 3. XORP code is developed in C++, is it mandatory to have development in C++ i.e. If I want to bring in LDP code from Quagga do I need to modify it from C to C++?

No...if it compiles and works (and is GPL), then it will be considered for inclusion.

git-format patch series are preferred.

> 4.  Do you performance numbers published i.e I am more inteested in network convergence numbers?

No..but interested in knowing your results if you do any tests...