[Xorp-users] MLD on FreeBSD

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:23:30 -0800

> Hi,
>
> I'm desperately trying to have my gateway IPv6 multicast forwarding
> enabled having tested ecmh, pim6sd and now xorp (which seems to be the
> best approach)
>
> It is a FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE box (CVSUPed Nov 24) with the current xorp
> CVS (Nov 29) with the following interfaces
>
> vr0:	Ethernet to clients
> tun0:	PPPoE to DSL provider
> gif0:	IPv6-in-IPv4 unicast tunnel
> gif1:	IPv6-in-IPv4 multicast tunnel
>
> xorp itself and PIM seems to work quite fine, I can see the neighborship
> on the Cisco on the other side of gif1. My problems are concerning MLD.
> I can see MLDv1 listener queries sent by xorp on the wire (and they are
> nicely recorded in the trace)
>
> [ 2004/12/04 01:31:14 TRACE xorp_mld MLD6IGMP ] TX MLD_LISTENER_QUERY
> from fe80::240:63ff:fed3:e0f0 to ff02::1
> [ 2004/12/04 01:31:14 TRACE xorp_mld MLD6IGMP ] TX MLD_LISTENER_QUERY
> from fe80::240:63ff:fed3:e0f0 to ff02::1
>
> but when I'm subscribing a multicast group on a client directly
> connected on vr0 nothing happens. I can see the MLDv1 listener report in
> tcpdump on the xorp-host, but there is no logmessage and no group is
> visible in xorpsh. Setting the interface to promisc mode did not help.
>
> Any tricks I missed? I've saved the configuration at
>
> http://www.birkenwald.de/~berni/tmp/xorp.txt

Bernhard,

Your config file seems fine. Could you confirm that if you run
pim6sd, then pim6sd is able to see the MLDv1 listener reports on
vr0. This test can be used to narrow the problem: if pim6sd is fine,
then the problem is definitely in XORP.

Further, can you run a MLDv1 receiver on the other side of the gif1
tunnel with XORP running on the router, and check if XORP can see
the MLD messages. This test can be used to narrow the problem
whether it is specific to the vr0 interface only.