[Xorp-users] Problems with "priviledged instruction fault" and 1.0RC

Dave Price dave.price@aber.ac.uk
Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:12:58 +0100

Dear Bruce,

bms@spc.org said:
> 3384K ram which I have managed to srounge and added
>                            ^^^^^ 3.3MB? Can you re-check the amount of
> memory in the machine? Is the memory in this machine known good and
> working? 16MB is what I'd regard as a bare minimum for FreeBSD these
> days.

typed before thinking on my part....  384 Mbytes installed....

bms@spc.org said:
> Can you post the traceback in full to me off-list?

I've got past that now, I dropped CPU speed and all went away.  I suspect some
memory perhaps not as fast as other chips or some such.

My current problems now...

1/. only spots 3 or 4 ethernet cards, I am going to chase
use of interrrupts, i/o space etc and see what I can fix

2/. I'm being thick here.....  Reading documentation, its not
clear to me whether, using LiveCD, I have to set IP addresses
of interfaces using ifconfig logged on as root, or whether I can do
all of that via xorpsh etc, or am I better editing some config files or....

3/.  I want to be able to use this xorp box in two ways. Once as basically
a multicast router, but also as a backup unicast router.   We have for
a long time (although not actually at the moment) often run two routers in parallel,
one set to be our main unicast router and
one set to do multicast routing (using mrouted which we of course we have now not used for ages).
On the multicast router (which was a multiinterface sun workstation) we artifically
increased the metric/cost associated with each interface so as
the other router became "preferred" by other machines on our networks,
but would get used automatically if the other one failed.  Cutting a long tale short,
is it fairly easy to set up Xorp to artifically high costs associated with interfaces?
We would then run RIP for unicast and PIM-SM etc for multicast...

4/. I've read through the XORP command line interface guide and the
Live CD web pages, but I still feel short of knowledge/understanding here.
Any pointers to which other document I really should read as opposed
to which is internals etc.

Thanks,

Dave Price