FW: [Xorp-users] XORP 1.1RC Install under OpenBSD 3.6

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:38:31 -0700

> 1.) Iv installed the gcc-3.3.2.tgz package using the pkg_add command...
> 	pkg_add -v
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/packages/i386/gcc-3.3.2.tgz
>
> I also ran pkg_info for gcc, this is the output;
> 	# pkg_info gcc
>
> 	Information for gcc-3.3.2
>
> I also ran gcc -v and this is the output;
> 	# gcc -v
> 	Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-openbsd3.6/2.95.3/specs
> 	gcc version 2.95.3 20010125 (prerelease, propolice)

gcc-3.3.2.tgz contains only the C compiler, so you need to install
also g++-3.3.2.tgz (the C++ compiler).

The gcc-3.3.2/g++-3.3.2 compiler is installed with different
executable names that don't overwrite the default gcc/g++, and those
names should be egcc/eg++. Then, you must set environmental
variables CC and CXX to point to the new compiler before running
"./configure":

setenv CC egcc
setenv CXX eg++

If "egcc -v" and "eg++ -v" return strings that don't contain the
word "propolice", then you don't need to set the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS to
-fno-stack-protector.

Another thing you may want to do before you start compiling is to
increase the data size limit. E.g.:

limit datasize 200000

After that, if you are reusing the same build tree as before, run
first "gmake clean", and then "gmake".

> 2.) As for the multicast routing I haven't applied any kernel patches as
> of yet, can you please provide me with a list of the specific patches...

Sorry, I don't have kernel patches for vanilla 3.6. I have them only
for 3.6-current (for a single point of time), but those probably
won't apply cleanly on your system. Maybe Troy or somebody else on
this list has the patches ported to vanilla 3.6?

Of course, you need those mods only if you are going to use
your OpenBSD box as a PIM multicast router. If other folks don't
have vanilla-3.6 patches, and if you are not in a hurry, I'd
recommend to wait for OpenBSD-3.7 which will contain the
PIM-specific kernel mods (it will be released around May 19).
If you are in a hurry, your best bet would be to install the lastest
OpenBSD snapshot.