[Xorp-users] XORP RIP enabled. Why are static routes required?

Swati Sinha Deb, Electrical & Electronic Engineering Swati.SinhaDeb@bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:46:09 +0100

Hi,

I have implemented a testbed (shown below) using XORP+click. Click is
running in user mode.

CLIENTPC1 --- XORP1 ------ XORP2 ------ CLIENTPC2

Both XORP1 & XORP2 have been configured for RIP on both the interfaces. As
expected I can see the RIP packets on all the interfaces. But the issue is
when I try to ping CLIENTPC2 from CLIENTPC1 it fails.

To get around the above problem I added static routes to both XORP1 & XORP2
so that they know routes to each others networks. When I try to ping from
CLIENTPC1 to CLIENTPC2 it works!

Can somebody please explain this behaviour? I would have expected that RIP
would build the correct routing table and pass it on to click.

Second issue,

I am capturing packets via click using the same testbed described above. To
do this I have written a .click config file and start another instance of
click. So at the moment there are 2 instances of click running on my server
(the first started by XORP in user mode and the second started manually by
myself). Is there a way to specify the .click configuration in XORP
configuration file so that there is only one instance of click running on
my server and that started by XORP in user mode?

Any advice on the above issues will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards
Swati

Swati Sinha Deb, Research Fellow
Wireless and Networks Research Laboratory,
Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University of Bristol,
Merchant Venturers Building, Woodland Road,
Bristol BS8 1UB
E-mail: Swati.SinhaDeb@bristol.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0)117 331 5058