[Xorp-users] Simple configuration

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:45:36 -0800

> Ok I am new to this and have been scratching my head a lot...
>
> I have a Linux Fedora 2 server with 2 network cards. eth0 and eth1.
> eth0 is on a world network, eth1 is on a private network.
>
> I want to be able to bridge multicast packets between the two ports. I don't
> think that should be two difficult, but the dents in the wall and my desk have
> proved me wrong.
>
> I have modified the simple multicast client and server examples kicking around
> in the internet so the server is listenening on my eth1 port. I don't seem to
> receive any packets from the client sending 'hello messages'.
>
> I have also got ethereal running, listening to traffic on eth1, but I am not
> seeing any multicast messages.
>
> Can someone please help me, my desk and wall solve this.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Iain
>
> This is what my config.boot file looks like

Iain,

Two comments about the config below:

 * You don't need the mld section, if you don't need IPv6
   forwarding. Otherwise, you have to add a mfea6 and pimsm6
   sections as well.

 * Who is the RP? Inside the pimsm4 section you haven't specified
   static RPs, and you haven't specified that you are a Candidate
   BSR or Candidate-RP. Hence, your PIM-SM router will listen for
   Bootstrap messages from other PIM-SM routers to obtain the
   RP-Set. If you are not running the Bootstrap mechanism on the
   other PIM-SM routers in your domain, then no RP-set, and no
   multicast forwarding.

   If you have a single PIM-SM router, the simplest solution is to
   add one of its IP addresses to the "static-rps" XORP
   configuration section.
   Alternatively, configure it as a "cand-bsr" and a "cand-rp" in
   the "bootstrap" config section, but after a startup make sure
   that you wait up to 3 minutes or so until the "show pim rps"
   xorpsh operational command shows the RP entry.