[Xorp-users] Kernel bug on FreeBSD 4.x

Dan Lukes dan@obluda.cz
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:58:50 +0200

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> So far I haven't seen similar bug in FreeBSD kernel, but I should
> admit that I haven't tried FreeBSD-4.11 yet (the version that Dan is
> using).

	BTW, there is bug within network implemenation on 4.x (it apply to some
recent 5.x also).

	When VLANs are used the ALLMULTI flag is not propagated from vlan
network driver to underlying physical network driver. The NIC isn't
properly reprogrammed and multicast aren't seen by kernel. (it bug
doesn't disrupt host-multicast sending and receiving - explicit
join/leave are propagated correctly).

	IMHO, the bug will not be fixed within 4.x branch. It seems to be nice
to mention the bug within documentation. It take two days to debug for
me ...

	The simple workaround is enable the ALLMULTI on underlying interface by
separate program. The simplest workaround is assign a 127.0.0.[2-254]/32
address to in then configure it as a standard interface to XORP. It's
not necesarry to enable a protocol on it.

						Dan