[Xorp-users] Redistributing the system kernel route table into OSPF

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:19:23 +0100

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:34:05AM -0700, Frank E. Renwick wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  If you have any leads as to where the
> implementation is, I have a software developer who could likely clean it up.

It's here: http://www.sce.carleton.ca/wmc/code.html

OLSR in XORP would be interesting as an experiment in getting the new
decentralized MANET protocols (OLSR, AODV, DSR etc) to talk to the
old centralized hierarchical protocols (OSPF, BGP, IS-IS).

Although doing layer 3 routing to build large wireless LANs is still
a silly idea for various reasons you are no doubt aware of, that doesn't
stop people from trying!

For exchanging routes via the RIB between centralized and decentralized
protocols, an event-driven trigger will be required.

Most of XORP is event and table driven. Many of the MANET protocols are
table driven, and some are purely on-demand such as AODV. Currently
the XORP framework implements BGP, OSPF and RIP which as you probably
know are timer and event driven, and all are table driven.

There are basic hooks in the FEA and RIB for dealing with the notifications
generated by the forwarding layer when routes are missing when running
in an on-demand environment, but only tested on FreeBSD. Linux doesn't
have this capability in its FIB interface which is why the in-kernel
AODV implementation available for it... is in-kernel.

Now that the policy engine has been implemented by Andrea, the right bits
in the framework are there, it's just a case of someone having time to
sit down and put them all together.

BMS