[Xorp-users] ARP problems with static routes in XORP

Vikram KAUL vkaul at research.telcordia.com
Mon Jun 12 10:15:41 PDT 2006

Mike, Allan

 I confirmed that the error was due to some 'funky' routes on the host,
and nothing was wrong in the XORP configuration of static routes. The ping
works now.

 I also ran rip instead of using static routes, and the routes get created
and ping works fine

Thanks for your help

Vikram

vkaul>Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:47:05 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
vkaul>To: Mike Horn <mhorn at vyatta.com>
vkaul>Cc: xorp-users at xorp.org, 'Allan Leinwand' <allan at vyatta.com>
vkaul>Subject: Re: [Xorp-users] ARP problems with static routes in XORP
vkaul>
vkaul>
vkaul>mhorn>To help you troubleshoot, can you provide a few pieces of information:
vkaul>mhorn>1. What OS are the hosts and Routers?
vkaul>mhorn>2. Can you send the interface configuration from all the devices (ifconfig
vkaul>mhorn>or equivalent).
vkaul>mhorn>3. Can you send the routing table output from all the devices.  You can use
vkaul>mhorn>"netstat -rn" from the unix shell or you can use XORP command "show route
vkaul>mhorn>table ipv4 unicast final".
vkaul>
vkaul>I will be able to do this tomorrow. I am in another location now.
vkaul>
vkaul>mhorn>
vkaul>mhorn>Proxy ARP won't work in your setup, the HostA should only be ARP'ing for the
vkaul>mhorn>nexthop address on the local connected subnet, in this case 17.17.17.1.  The
vkaul>mhorn>traffic bound for 10.1.1.2 should be sent to 17.17.17.1 who should then
vkaul>mhorn>forward it to 10.1.1.2.
vkaul>mhorn>
vkaul>
vkaul>That is what I thought should happen. The fact that 10.1.1.2 is
vkaul>corresponding to the default entry of the route table at the host for
vkaul>which the gatway is 17.17.17.1 should make the host send a ping directly
vkaul>to the gatway. The gateway router would then forward the ping to the next
vkaul>hop router.
vkaul>
vkaul>I will send the XORP configurations tomorrow. In the meanwhile, if anyone
vkaul>has any other recommendations, please do advise.
vkaul>
vkaul>regards..
vkaul>Vikram
vkaul>