[Xorp-users] QoS and XORP

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.se
Wed Nov 8 18:18:26 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 06:09:53PM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Kristian Larsson <kristian at spritelink.se> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 04:50:43PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> > > Why is it then that Quagga can do ACL's yet XORP
> > > cannot? I thought they were almost the same as far as
> > > functionality.
> > Can it?
> > It was years since I used Quagga though I don't
> > believe much has changed... it's still control
> > plane software. If there are ways to control ACLs
> > it's just that - control.
> > It's still the underlying OS, the kernel, which
> > handles packet forwarding and thus also packet
> > filtering with the ACLs that Quagga has defined.
>
> FYI, the XORP FEA has some backend ACL support (IPFW2 and PF for
> UNIX, and NF for Windows I believe), but it requires a little bit
> extra work to have it working: front-end configuration glue,
> testing, etc.
Yeah, I saw a few CVS commits for that, never
thought it was any serious though and I haven't
had the chance to look at it.
Are these in anyway related to how Vyatta have
implemented netfilter control?

   Kristian.

--
Kristian Larsson                                   KLL-RIPE
Network Engineer                      Net at Once [AS35706]
+46 704 910401			     kristian at spritelink.se