[Xorp-users] No logging when using xorp_rtrmgr

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Aug 24 00:01:31 PDT 2007

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs at computer.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:43:10AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > Do you see any messages printed on the terminal if you start
> > xorp_rtrmgr in foreground?
>
> No, none.

That's odd.

Could you confirm that if you do the following, then the xorp_rtrmgr
process doesn't print anything:

./configure
gmake
cd rtrmgr
# Become a root
./xorp_rtrmgr -b my_config.boot

> > A better solution is to use the contributed code inside
> > xorp/contrib/packages/debian where you will find XORP-related
> > package information for Debian. It also contains an init script
> > for XORP. However, I should point that we (XORP) haven't tested it,
> > but hopefully Benjamin Sonntag (the author of that contributed code)
> > and/or the Debian-knowledgable folks on that list can provide more
> > input on the subject.
>
> I've already built Debian packages for Xorp (I'm a Debian developer myself).
> I haven't looked up at the contributed code there, however. But I've based
> myself on the work done by Jose Calhariz which is based on Benjamin's work
>
> Actually, my goal is to eventually provide official Debian packages in
> Debian's repositories for everybody to enjoy Xorp :)

Great! :)

> > > PS: BTW, Xorp 1.4 does not compile with newer g++ versions (I've tried 4.1.3 in
> > > a Debian 'sid' environment). Is this fixed in CVS?
> >
> > Which Debian package did you use to get 4.1.3? I just searched
> > http://packages.debian.org/ and the latest 4.1.x gcc package is
> > 4.1.2-15.
> > Anyway, I will give a try of 4.1.2-15 and 4.2.1-4 as well.
>
> You're right, fingers might have mistyped, I should have said 4:4.1.2-3 (not
> 4.1.3).

Actually, you could be correct when you said 4.1.3: the Debian
package version is 4.1.2, but "gcc-4.1 --version" actually says
4.1.3.

Anyway, I updated our Debian system to 4.0 (etch) which has
gcc-4.1.1. I was able to compile the latest XORP code from CVS with
that compiler. After updating the compiler to gcc-4.1.3 I was able
again to compiler XORP without any problem. In both cases, "gmake
check" passed as well.

Hence, please try the latest XORP code from CVS and see whether you
still have the compilation problem.
BTW, I didn't try the latest 4.2.1-4 compiler, because there were
some issues when trying to install it.