[Xorp-users] No logging when using xorp_rtrmgr

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs at computer.org
Fri Aug 24 17:16:59 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:43:10AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > I've been banging my head with Xorp to try to get a simple multicast setup
> > running. I've finally made it work but one of the reasons it took me
> > so much time is that xorp_rtrmgr would not output any logging information
> > at all when starting up even if using the '-v' flag (and I have been unable
> > to find any syslog messages either)
>
> The XORP log messages are output to stdout/stderr when you start the
> xorp_rtrmgr.
> XORP doesn't write any syslog messages (yet), which is one of the
> shortcomings of the log meccanism that needs to be addressed in the
> future.

After building/testing xorp 1.5 I think we are going to work around this (in
Debian) by using the 'daemon' program (http://www.libslack.org/daemon/)
this program can send stdout/stderr of programs it runs to either a logfile
or syslog and it also takes care of putting it into background, generating
its pidfile, etc.

Other Linux and *BSD distributions might have a similar program to handle
that so it's not that much of an issue, IMHO.

Just for reference, attached is the current status of the init.d script I'm
working at for the Debian package.

Regards

Javier