[Xorp-users] Fwd: Re: Help needed for basic PIM-SM configuration

Kimmo Koivisto koippa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 13:02:47 PST 2007

And my answer to Pavlin to the list too:

On Saturday 13 January 2007 00:44, you wrote:
> > I have enabled OSPF and routing is working okay. I have tried to
> > configure PIM-SM but did not succeed (what "xorpsh>show pim rps" and
> > "xorpsh>show pim bootstrap" should show when everything is in order?).
>
> The "show pim bootstrap" command should show information related to
> the election of the Bootstrap router (BSR). Once the BSR has been
> elected and it has propagated the Cand-RP information, you should be
> able to see the Cand-RP set using the "show pim rps" command.
> If the "show pim rps" output is empty, then your PIM-SM routers
> haven't received the Cand-RP information.

I simplified my environment so that I only ha sender S1, two routers R1-R2
 and received C1. Multicast started working with the simplified
 configuration, I have to try again with four routers.

Now "show pim bootstrap" shows:
Active zones:
BSR             Pri LocalAddress    Pri State           Timeout SZTimeout
172.16.125.100    1 172.16.125.100    1 Elected              30        -1
192.168.210.100   1 0.0.0.0           0 AcceptPreferred     121      1291
Expiring zones:
BSR             Pri LocalAddress    Pri State           Timeout SZTimeout
Configured zones:
BSR             Pri LocalAddress    Pri State           Timeout SZTimeout
172.16.125.100    1 172.16.125.100    1 Init                 -1        -1

and  "show pim rps" shows:
RP              Type      Pri Holdtime Timeout ActiveGroups GroupPrefix
172.16.125.100  bootstrap 192      150      -1            1 225.1.1.1/32
192.168.210.100 bootstrap 192       -1      -1            0 225.1.1.1/32

Does this look like it should? Those IP addresses are from router R1 and R2.

> Your PIM-SM configuration seems fine, but it is unclear whether you
> have configured other multicast-related modules like fib2mrib.

Yes, I have fib2mrib configured. My config is exactly as your example, only
difference is that I don't have static RP.

> This is what your multicast-specific oprtion of your configuration
> should look like. You would need to replace 10.10.10.10 with the IP
> address of one of your PIM-SM routers (the RP).
>
> Regards,
> Pavlin

Thanks for your help.

I got my simplified environment working. Only problem is that I have to learn
more about PIM-SM to understand xorp behaviour.

Regards
Kimmo