[Xorp-users] Minimal XORP IPv4 Multicast for embedded Linux?

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Aug 15 04:26:39 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm forwarding a message from last year when I did some profiling with
Exmap:
     http://www.berthels.co.uk/exmap/

To clarify: I don't believe that the L2 cache artefacts would have a
significant impact, except where the measurable use of C++ runtime
symbol binding approaches that of say KDE.
     The latency you'd have to watch is slow flash read cycles (Nand vs
Nor) but I don't think using NAND flash is going to make a big
difference here.

I only profiled the XORP libraries which are candidates for sharing. I
don't think we can reach 1MB for all of XORP, although 4MB-8MB is a more
realistic ballpark figure.

One of the issues here is that the use of C++ language features such as
exceptions and RTTI can increase the size of the binaries due to the
code required for call stack trampolines and unwinding etc.

We use RTTI in the OSPF and OLSR code, so we're tied to it, although our
use of it is limited to dynamic_cast<>.

cheers
BMS