[Xorp-users] help please my multicasting is not working

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino jfs at computer.org
Fri Jan 18 01:15:28 PST 2008

2008/1/18, GDS.Marshall <gdsm at tgfslp.dalmany.co.uk>:
> The reason for trying mtrace was the fact my multicast is not working.  I
> can not view/listen to any multicast streams.  Neither do dbeacon or
> ssmping work from a multicast point of view.

If multicast is working you should be able to use ssmping to test it
out. Maybe you could use msend/mlisten too. Those tools do work with
Xorp.

> Would anyone have any suggestions on what to check or change etc.
> please?

It looks like Xorp doesn't know who to forward traffic of unknown
multicast groups to. Maybe you want to explicitly set the RendezVous
Point (RP) for Xorp. Since the DR for the interrouter network is the
Cisco router you might want to add:

        static-rps {
            rp 82.70.154.150   {
                group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 {
                }
            }
        }

To the pimsm4 definition.

As for why is the Cisco router is the DR 82.70.154.144/29 I guess
that's because it is negotiated that way. Maybe the Cisco router has a
Multicast configuration giving it a higher weight. IIRC the RFCs say
that on even weights the DR of a network is the multicast router with
the lowest IP but that is not happening in yours (Xorp has the IP
address 82.70.154.145, which is lower than 82.70.154.150). I suggest
you review the multicast configuration on the Cisco router or, if none
has been done, the system's default values for Multicast.

HTH

Javier