[Xorp-users] Multicast Forwarding

David Bond david.bond at themis.com
Thu Jan 24 15:52:50 PST 2008

I posted the following message to Bugzilla, and it was suggested to move it to the mailing lists instead. Here is the text of my post:

The system that I'm using Xorp upon, is a Freescale 8548E based Linux system. It
is running kernel version 2.6.9. The Linux port is from Denx. This system has 4
ethernet ports and 2 Infiniband ports. Essentially it is an Infiniband Target
Channel Adapter (TCA). All unicast traffic is routed properly, and the system
functions quite well. However, multicast traffic from the outside (ethernet
side) to the inside (Infiniband), unless there is an application running on the
TCA that also receives the multicast traffic. If this occurs, all is well, and
the multicast traffic is forward to the inside. The problem is that this is not
an acceptable solution, since the TCA is to function as a black box router. Am I
missing something in my configuration of Xorp? I'm not using BGP, OSPF, or any
ipv6. This is strictly a routing and forwarding application.

Any suggestions?

Additional details are:

- Unicast forwarding is done through static L3 routes. The network is closed (no outside world access), so it was determined to use this approach.
- All multicast packets received on any ethernet port need to be forwarded to only one of the Infiniband ports (ib0). The second Infiniband port is inactive in this application.
- I have complete control over the multicast group addressing. In other words, I control the source of the multicast packet as well as the destination.
- This is a FLASH based system, and numerous parts of xorp were not included due to space limitations. This include xorpsh.

So is there a way with Xorp to setup persistent static multicast routes, that do not require an IGMP join?

Thank you,
David
David Bond
Themis Computer