[Xorp-users] Anyone using XORP in live production environment with big traffic load?

Morten Pedersen morten at workzone.no
Mon Jul 14 06:10:19 PDT 2008

I guess the header says it all.

We are currently using a couple of Cisco 7206 for our BGP routing, but need to upgrade to something with more bandwith. Therefore, I was thinking about XORP as a cheaper alternative. I am planning to go for a configuration with two identical servers for failover:

One 2U server with:
2 x PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x8
2 x 2 port 10Gbit fibre network cards
1 x quad 1Gbit ethernet network card

My question is, will this be viable? Also, should I go for AMD or Intel? I need to keep in mind that my servers must be able to handle around 50Gbit of network traffic, so the choice of databus is important I guess. Another issue is the network cards. I am planning on using Intel network cards.

Anyone with some ideas on this?

Thanks,

Morten