[Xorp-users] Virtual IP on Router Cluster

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Jul 16 14:24:45 PDT 2008

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

>> Which protocol are you using for failover (I assume FreeVRRP) ?
>
> This is done with Heartbeat (Linux-HA). What would be the advantage of
> FreeVRRP?

OK. Not familiar with Linux-HA. I imagine they perform much the same
function i.e. failover functionality is dealt with by its own protocol.

> Well, the interfaces are configured as "default-system-config" in the
> interfaces {} block, the fea {} block contains only the forwarding
> config, and the ip addresses are configured in the ospf4 {} block of
> the protocols {} block. I have taken that from the "Getting Started"
> document on xorp.org.
> Do you suppose to use a different structure?

Please try manual configuration -- it's entirely possible that XORP may
be somehow confused by the type of interface the Linux kernel exposes to
the FEA for the Linux-HA interface.

I'd be interested to know if other folk have had similar experiences
with FreeVRRP or CARP.

> And the question remains: How do I make an additional IP address on a
> certain interface known to xorp?

A single vif can have multiple IP addresses; please refer to the user
manual for configuration of multiple IP addresses.

thanks!
BMS