[Xorp-users] Adding interfaces dynamically

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 14 09:11:41 PST 2008

Bruce M. Simpson <bms at incunabulum.net> wrote:

> Franz Struwig wrote:
> > Does XORP handle interfaces being dynamically added gracefully, or do
> > you have to restart the daemon?
> > I'm pre-empting the answer, but are there any workarounds?
>
> Unfortunately, portions of the FEA require a rewrite to deal with
> interfaces which appear dynamically after the FEA process has been
> started. There are a number of Bugzilla entries about this. Pavlin may
> know more.

Franz,

You can try the following:

1. Add the _expected_ interface names in the "interfaces" block with
"default-system-config" statement.
The "default-system-config" statement will track any changes to
those interfaces, and propagate them to the rest of XORP.
E.g., if you expect the dynamically added interface names to be,
say, tun1 and tun2, then:

interfaces {
    interface tun1 {
        default-system-config
    }
    interface tun2 {
        default-system-config
    }
}

2. In your protocol configuration blocks you can use/configure tun1
   and tun2 as usual.

3. Any additional configuration to tun1 and tun2 (e.g., IP address
   add/delete), should be done by the outside mechanism that creates
   those interfaces.

Before tun1 and tun2 are created, "show interfaces" will display
them as not enabled, or something like this.
After IP addresses are added "show interfaces" should display them
and they can be used by the rest of XORP.

I believe the FEA will work as described above, but I don't know
whether all protocols will do the right thing. Please give it a try
and let us know the result.

Pavlin