[Xorp-users] Config file error

Rae Harbird r.harbird at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 15 08:35:16 PDT 2009

Dear Bruce

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, I am running XORP on Linux Ubuntu
9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP

Your debugging suggestions were very useful. In answer to your questions:

> * Is runtime linkage for the rubi process OK?
> * Verify this with ldd. It's entirely possible that if you have LD_RUN_PATH
> or LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, or if you are running with shared libraries
> (possibly missing or misdirected), or if there is some other runtime linker
> problem (e.g. 32 bit vs 64 bit thunks) when the executable is invoked.

Yes,  I have checked with as you suggested. The process seems Ok.

> * Have you tried writing a shell script wrapper to profile the process
> invocation?
> * Typically I would use this technique for doing valgrind runs for leak
> testing 'in place'.
> * If you look at olsr4.tp in the shipping XORP 1.6 tarball, you'll see a
> commented out reference to such a shell script wrapper.

This was very useful. I tried this and the xorp_rubi process starts
successfully. I can interact with xorp_rubi using the xrls
successfully. Am I right in thinking that when you start the process
independently in this way, the template file is not read? If that is
correct then can you suggest a way of using a minimal / no template
file as a way of continuing to debug this problem?

Rae