[Xorp-users] Urgent Queries about XORP package

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Dec 7 10:59:44 PST 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Mohd Arif wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I am a new user of XORP. I am still collecting information about XORP.
>> I would be thankful to xorp mailing list for the clarifications:
>>
>> Query #1: Does XORP supports PPC architecture? If yes, what options
>> are needed by "configure" to cross   compile the source code? If no,
>> then its a bad news :(
>>

> Cross-compilation currently hasn't been tested with the SCons build.
>
> You are welcome to contribute to the ongoing development effort of
> getting cross compilation to work with the new build system.

P.S. The community code which is available, is largely agnostic of the
platform you compile it for.

XORP itself should build fine when targetted for the PowerPC
architecture, providing you have the appropriate libraries. We just cut
over to using Boost in SVN trunk, so you will need to make sure your
cross build can supply that.

If you do have a problem with a cross build, and the issue is code
compliance or portability, within the XORP tree itself, then please
raise a Trac ticket about it, preferably with a brief test case and your
patch to fix the issue.

Support in the community forum, for cross-compilation issues which arise
outside of the XORP tree, can't be guaranteed. If you're lucky, post and
ask here; another user may be using the same build configuration as you.

If you are using a commercial toolchain, it's best to raise these sorts
of questions directly through your vendor's support channel.

If you are having difficulties building a staging area with appropriate
libraries, it's difficult to give general advice about solving problems,
as there is now such a wide variety of toolchains for embedded
development out there (OpenWRT, OE etc).

thanks,
BMS