[Xorp-users] Call for feedback/volunteers: Build system, platform tier support.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jul 14 09:04:29 PDT 2009

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for these two suggestions. As I understand it, CentOS is
basically RHEL repackaged. I agree with your view that Ubuntu and Fedora
are in rapid change. I think it's safe to say that Gentoo has tailed off
for the time being.

Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>   Just a humble opinion. Both Linux distributions could be considered a
> bit "over the edge". It might be feasible to consider RHEL or CentOS for
> those that like more calm life :)

A friendly organisation's choice of Ubuntu was interesting, because of
how they approach packaging. They already have an existing relationship
with Canonical to get their packages into position for Ubuntu releases.

Is anyone in the XORP community going to be able to perform this role,
for CentOS and RHEL?
Could this be the same person or organisation -- is there enough overlap
between the two?

A quick sweep reveals CentOS 5.2 is available as a VDI image; so I'll
try to get a bit more familiarity with it, as I'm primarily a FreeBSD guy.

It's probably an idea to integrate RPM and DEB generation into the SCons
build system. Once the community code is back online, there should be
some means of introducing this support.

Until now, here are some pointers:
    http://www.scons.org/doc/1.2.0.d20090223/HTML/scons-user/a8379.html
    http://www.qandr.org/quentin/writings/debscons

...this sort of thing helps, if there's a lag between a release being
rolled, and being shipped upstream.

thanks,
BMS