[Xorp-users] install problem

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Jul 25 14:24:23 PDT 2009

Qihua Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got some problem when I tried to install xorp. I always got  some
> information sounds like there is some kind of problem about router
> manager. Below is the log information. Is there anybody can give me?
> Thanks a lot.
>
> root at yangqqh-desktop:/home/yangqqh/Desktop/xorp-1.6# xorpsh
> Waiting for xorp_rtrmgr...
> [ 2009/07/25 16:43:54  ERROR xorpsh:10046 RTRMGR +91 xorpsh_main.cc
> wait_for_xrl_router_ready ] XrlRouter failed.  No Finder?
> [ 2009/07/25 16:43:54  ERROR xorpsh:10046 RTRMGR +908 xorpsh_main.cc
> main ] xorpsh exiting due to an init error: Failed to connect to the
> router manager

Have you written a configuation file for XORP, and is the Router Manager
process (xorp_rtrmgr) actually running?

There are init scripts for various distributions (Debian, FreeBSD etc)
which will start the Router Manager like any other UNIX daemon or
service, however all of them require you to write a configuration file
first.

Without a Router Manager process running, the xorpsh will not run.
Usually, the xorpsh tries to connect to the Router Manager over local
TCP loopback sockets, so you may wish to check the output of 'netstat
-an' to be sure that it is listening on port 19999. In Linux, the 'ss'
command is also useful for this.

thanks,
BMS