[Xorp-users] Virtualizing Xorp

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jul 30 11:30:04 PDT 2009

Robert Appleton wrote:
> I am trying to run Xorp in a VM on my network. I'm using a basic
> static route between computers on a switch (this is still just for
> testing purposes). The VM can ping the other computers on the network.
> When I start the router it replys from the gateway (192.168.1.1 //
> 192.168.2.1) but says destination host unavailable when it tries to
> reach the actual computer it's pinging. Is there anything I need to
> change for running xorp in a VM? (I have this setup working when it is
> running on a physical machine outside the VM) Thanks.

Not knowing the nature of the VM in use, it's difficult to say. Nothing
in XORP should fundamentally change when running in a virtual machine,
however VMs can and do vary in how they implement layer 2, as well as
the mapping of the VM's network to the host network stack. Some use NAT,
others use more low level forms of bridging.

It sounds as though you are using a bridged LAN, in which case I would
expect to see some issues like this. tcpdump and inspection of the ARP
cache (arp -a) are probably the places to start looking, be sure that
the VM is sending and receiving ARP traffic for the neighbor it's trying
to reach.

thanks,
BMS