[Xorp-users] rip on freebsd

John Hay jhay at meraka.org.za
Thu May 7 10:42:22 PDT 2009

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 03:54:54PM +0100, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> John Hay wrote:
> >I have started with an empty conf file and then used xorpsh to do
> >the config and saved that. The config + xorp_rtrmgr.log and
> >sockstat.out is on http://people.freebsd.org/~jhay/xorp/
> >

> Your config file looks fine.
>
> I will hazard a wild guess: try adding a default route, using the XORP
> static routes module, to your config, and see if this condition is still
> present.

The wild guess was a good one. I stopped xorp, added a default route
and then started xorp again and rip was working. I did it a few times
and it started everytime.

I also tried with adding a static default route in the xorp config, it
does add the route to the kernel, but rip does not work and according
to sockstat it does not listen on port 520. Maybe it happens to late?

So what now?

> I did a LOT of multicast refactoring in FreeBSD. I don't believe 7.2
> should have the problem I inadvertently introduced in the 6.x train with
> default interface lookup,  but I would like to be able to rule it out --
> AFAIK it did not bite XORP, and I haven't seen that problem in the 7.x
> train since.
>
> The next place I'd look is ktrace-ing the FEA; use ktrace(8) to pull FEA
> activity at runtime, preferably as soon as it starts to run. A shell
> script with kill -0 to detect the process has started is fine, it's not
> too racy. The libcomm message involved could probably be made more useful.
>
> Also pull sockstat and check that the socket(s) are in fact being
> created. Multicast sockets shouldn't be bound to an interface, but they
> do need to be bound to the port (INADDR_ANY, 520).

Thanks

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay at meraka.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org