[Xorp-users] Xorp router's performance measures

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Nov 12 04:27:11 PST 2009

naresh raga wrote:

>     I am learning .So my questions can be vague.I have asked in
>     general what are a router's performance figures.I just want to
>     know in what all aspects a router's performance can be
>     measured.For eg throughput,latency are two such aspects.

A good starting point might be to devise an experiment around typical
BGP usage scenarios (e.g. initial bootstrap, flap of a single upstream
provider, flap of a tier 1 ISP).

Both throughput of updates, and latency of propagation to neighbours,
are elements of such use which could be measured. This is of course
unrelated to a router's forwarding performance.

The NANOG mailing list might be a better place to ask for specific
suggestions for tools.

thanks,
BMS