[Xorp-users] Loopback address

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Oct 19 08:56:10 PDT 2009

Luca Belforte wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a loopback address on my routers, used instead of
> the address of an interface, in case a link will not work.
> But i can't find how do it, i modified the lo address, but the address
> is not "forwarder" to other routers, so i can't ping it.
>
> in cisco we can do like this:
>
> interface Loopback0
> description "*** Loopback ***"
> no ip address
> ipv4 address 10.0.1.1/32
> ipv4 ospf area 0
> exit
>

> How i can set up the same in Xorp?

I believe you'll need to configure the 'lo' interface manually within
the XORP configuration.

The FEA has a certain amount of support for software interfaces; the
'discard' interface, for example, is a purely software mechanism, which
isn't implemented consistently across all forwarding platforms.

For the Linux case, you'll probably need to set up an IPv4 alias on lo
in the interfaces {} block. For BSDs, the same may work, but you might
wish to 'clone' a separate loX instance during system startup (something
XORP can't do for you directly).

I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why it should not be
possible to redistribute routes which reference that interface by
address, unless the protocol(s) involved are trying to omit local
addresses for whatever reason.

thanks,
BMS