[Xorp-users] Altering config on the fly

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Feb 23 08:54:32 PST 2010

On 02/22/2010 11:43 PM, Martin Djernæs wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thank you for your response to my inquiry.
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ben Greear<greearb at candelatech.com>  wrote:
>> On 02/21/2010 11:07 PM, Martin Djernæs wrote:
>>> I've been looking quite a bit on how to make xorp version 1.6 "do what
>>> I need to do", but one of the things I need to accommodate is the
>>> ability to have tunnel interfaces "come and go" while in action.
>>>
>>> This means that when xorp starts up I can not provide the complete
>>> config and/or the underlying interfaces won't exist when it is
>>> started.
>>>
>>> Are there any tool to push interface configuration for PIM-SM into a
>>> running xorp?
>>
>> I put a lot of fixes into my xorp tree to address these issues.
>
> Is yours based on trunk or 1.6? I think it looks like it is based on
> trunk .. how stable is this compared to 1.6?

It's based on trunk.  It seems at least as stable as 1.6.  We use
our xorp tree in our product so it gets a decent bit of testing for
many of the protocols (primarily, PIM, OSPFv2, OSPFv6).

>> You can add/delete interfaces via xorpsh, and my xorp also handles
>> interfaces disappearing out from under it better.
>
> I've seen at least one problem where pim seems to "hang" very long
> when the interface has disappeared underneath it - so this would for
> sure be good.

I am especially interested in PIM and OSPF bugs should you find any in
my tree.  I have a pretty good understanding of that code, so I can probably
fix them if you find any...

> In terms of xorpsh this can not really be used programmatically as far
> as I can see - have I misunderstood it. I have tunnels coming and
> going and I would need to adjust the multicast/PIM  code to utilize
> these so xorop will start to utilize them.

We fork off scripts to call xorpsh from our main controller program.
I've improved the xorpsh executing time so that it's normally 200ms or
so, instead of multiple seconds on the main trunk.  It is slightly tricky
to do the right xorpsh commands...normally I remove old config, commit, add new config, commit,
for example.  You can pass multiple cmds to xorpsh with the -c option.

> Why are your changes not in the officially xorp three?

It's not my decision.  The best I can do at this time is offer my own tree.