[Xorp-users] How to add/join a router to a specific multicast address in Xorp.

naresh raga naresh_raga at yahoo.co.in
Sat May 8 14:04:20 PDT 2010

Hello,
I am working on Xorp.Actually I have connected my Xorp router (PC2)to another system running Quagga routing suite(PC1).On both routing suites i.e. XORP and Quagga ,OSPF has been configured.
PC1----PC2
Quagga(PC1)is sending OSPF Hello packets destined to 224.0.0.5.Xorp(PC2) is also sending OSPF Hello packets to 224.0.0.5.Both systems are receiving other systems' Hello packets.But there is no initiation of Database Description ,Link State request/update packets.

I am thinking the problem is:PC2(Xorp) has not been joined into the multicast group 224.0.0.5.So Hello packets are not accepted by PC2(sent by PC1),even though PC2 is receiving them.Is this the right reason(problem) for the above said situation?

For this I have configured IGMP in my protocols(Xorp configuration).But the problem I am facing is how can I add/join Xorp router into the specific multicast group 224.0.0.5,so that my PC2 can accept packets destined to 224.0.0.5.

Any help would be really grateful...

Thank you,
T.Raga Naresh Kumar.