[Xorp-users] Problem adding routes to custom devices

Jeff Mitchell jmitchell at ll.mit.edu
Wed May 19 10:57:19 PDT 2010

Hello Xorpies (Xorpers?),

I'm having a problem that I have narrowed down to a bug either in XORP
or in some custom software we have.

Our custom software creates a special kind of networking device, similar
in concept to a tun device. (The device allows us to do things like
packet delay/jitter/etc. mangling, while being in-kernel for fast speeds.)

I have two configurations for XORP that are identical with the one
difference being the device name. In the working configuration the
device is named eth0.701; in the non-working configuration the device is
named something similar to abcd0.

What happens is that when using this device, my defined static routes
fail to be added to the Linux routing table. It's a simple configuration:

     static {
         disable: false
         route 192.168.0.0/16 {
             next-hop: 192.168.71.1
             metric: 1
         }
         mrib-route 192.168.0.0/16 {
             next-hop: 192.168.71.1
             metric: 1
         }
     }

XORP does correctly add the configured IP address to the interface, and
I can ping from the interface to a neighbor; it is only the static route
that seems to be misbehaving.

So either there is some problem in XORP keeping it from adding these
static routes (but I'm not sure how to find out if this is the case) or
some problem in the custom software; however, since I can use "ip route"
to add the route to the custom software's interface manually, I am
guessing this is a XORP issue.

N.B.: I'm using Ben Greear's xorp.ct branch.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff