[Xorp-users] Understanding structure of Forwarding Table

Matt Sinclair mdsincl2 at illinois.edu
Sat Dec 3 16:55:02 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm new to XORP and I'm interested in looking at how much memory XORP
uses on a commodity machines.  Specifically, I'm interested in how
many entries the forwarding table has (and thus how much memory
they're using).  However, I can't seem to find where this is defined
in the code.  Where does the FEA actually store routing information
(the information base) and in what manner does it store it?  I imagine
it's somewhere in the xorp/fea/ folder, but I'm getting lost in all
the abstract classes and can't find it.  I saw in fibconfig.hh that it
has a trie4/trie6 field, which I believe correspond to a forwarding
table for the IPv4 and IPv6 packets, but it says that those fields are
for "testing purpose" only, so I'm not sure if they're what's actually
being used or not.

As far as I can tell, I haven't seen any questions about this on the
user forum in the past 16 months or so, so if I'm asking a question
that's been asked before, I apologize.  I also didn't see anything on
this in the documentation.  Thanks for any help you may be able to
provide!

Regards,
Matt Sinclair
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign