[Xorp-users] Route Redist between RIP and OSPF - working?

David Davidson david at commroom.net
Sun Mar 25 20:09:07 PDT 2012

Thank you for your testing and your report. it seems to me that you did
find something anomalous related to the OSPF export policies that seem
to affect RIP routes. It seems like somebody should look into that a
little further and maybe we could help to discover why that behavior is
going on. I would be open to helping or testing if anyone wants more
volunteers to try to get to the bottom of it.

Steve was right - connected routes aren't working in some cases also.

I finally did figure out a way to solve it, for this scenario. I still
think that there is an issue because this was a little convoluted and
this was very tricky and it seems like too much clever work for
exporting routes.

The thing I noticed was this: I was able to export OSPF routes into RIP,
and RIP routers would see those OSPF routes. I was also able to export
RIP routes into OSPF, and the OSPF routers would correctly see those RIP
routes.

What wasn't happening in this scenario was this problem: Routes that
were learned via "CONNECTED" protocol were NOT necessarily injected back
into either protocol on the OSPF side. For example, had I written the
export policies like so:

Policy A (to be exported into the RIP domain):
1. if proto=connected then accept
2. if proto=ospf then accept

and:

Policy B (to be exported into the OSPF domain):
1. if proto=connected then accept
2. if proto=rip then accept

Policy "A" seemed to work fine on the RIP side in the RIP domain. I
could see connected routes, and I could see OSPF routes. I still had to
configure a "connected" policy on xorp3 (same with other vendors' RIP
implementation so I am not worried about that).

But policy "B" did NOT work on the OSPF side. The connected routes would
not propagate. For example, xorp1 could not see any route to
192.168.40.0/24. Since eth1 on xorp1 was assigned 192.168.40.1/24, and
this is a "connected" protocol, this policy B should have injected that
route back into the OSPF domain, but it did not.

The way I solved this particular problem in the end was to for that
interface into OSPF and then make it a passive interface. This forces
xorp1 and xorp5 to learn about that network. This changes the "learning
method" in that it becomes an OSPF interface (albeit, a passive one) and
LSA's are forced back into the OSPF domain because it's part of the OSPF
domain. When this worked, I decided to pull out the "if proto=connected"
on the OSPF side since it didn't appear to be working anyway and all the
routes were still good.

My final configurations are attached. Using the attachment, I was able
to get certain and predictable converging of all routes, from every
router. All routers could reach all destinations using these
configurations. Again, this seems like too much clever work was needed
in order to get this accomplished. I suspect something is anomalous
because, like you mentioned, many of us are seeing this same kind of
weirdness. Thank you again for your input.