[Bro-Dev] Script reorg proposal

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Aug 1 11:23:46 PDT 2011

> With this scheme, we'd organize the script installation like this,
> assuming --prefix=/usr:
>
>    /usr/share/bro/base/
>
>    /usr/share/bro/policy/
>
>    /usr/share/bro/site/
>
>    /usr/share/bro/contrib/
>

> BROAPTH would include all these four directories.

If they're all in BROPATH, that means it's possible for scripts/packages in one directory to overshadow equivalently named ones in another directory.  e.g. this makes it hard for one to create an "protocols/http" package that exists in all 4 dirs, which seems like a reasonable use to me.  Is there a specific path ordering or naming convention that can deal with this?

I think I'd probably like for the default BROPATH to just contain the $prefix/share/bro.