[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/robin/parallel-btest: Adding group "comm" to communication tests for parallelizing execution with new btest version. (32cb6d6)

Gilbert Clark gc355804 at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 9 09:56:21 PDT 2011

On 9/9/2011 8:32 AM, Robin Sommer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 13:33 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> It seems like TEST-GROUP is very similar to TEST-PROFILE (in the btest
>> profile branch I'm working on). .
> Does TEST-PROFILE limit a test to run only when a specific profile has
> been selected, and be skipped if not?

At the moment, no.  It doesn't seem like something that would be hard to
do, though.

> What's a use case for using it?

The primary use-case at the moment is log testing.  For example, if
there were a 'dataseries' profile and an 'sql' profile, like so:

@TEST-PROFILE dataseries sql

the test containing this directive would run three times:

* once under the 'default' profile
* once under the 'dataseries' profile
* once under the 'sql' profile

This way, we get to re-use a subset of existing tests to exercise
alternative logging formats.

> Btw, another question: the "transform" pass runs after the test. Can
> we add another similar one that runs before the test executes? We
> could then remove BTest's filters and use profiles instead I believe.

Sure.

> And: your README says "four scripts need to be defined": please make
> them optional so that one can skip scripts that aren't needed for a
> profile.

Okay; in the absence of the 'supported' script, would it make sense to
assume that the profile should always run?

--Gilbert