[Bro-Dev] Proposed IOSource reorg

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Dec 3 10:07:46 PST 2013

I'm thinking to move the IOSource infrastructure into its own
subdirectory/namespace and turn the IOSourceRegistry into
iosource::Manager in alignment with the layout we've started to move
to with the logging/input/etc. I'd then move the classes derived from
IOSource into corresponding subdirectories, like this:

    src/iosource/
    src/iosource/Manager.{h,cc}
    src/iosource/IOSource.{h,cc}
    src/iosource/sources/pkt-src/PktSrc.{h,cc}
    src/iosource/sources/pkt-src/bpf/*
    src/iosource/sources/flow-src/*
    src/iosource/sources/dns-mgr/*
    src/iosource/sources/remote-serializer/*

The sources would turn into plugin components. New types of packet
sources (like netmap) would then go into iosource/pkt-src/foo/.

Does that make sense?

One piece where I'm unsure: would it be better to keep the remote
serializer out if this and instead do a separate serializer/ hierarchy
where all the current serialization/communication code goes?

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin