[Bro-Dev] Dynamic plugin model (Re: [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/robin/dynamic-plugins-2.3: Start of a plugin writing how-to. (87a1618))

Clark, Gilbert gc355804 at ohio.edu
Thu Dec 19 15:55:01 PST 2013

"The static and dynamic plugins could be unified further. It's unclear what the right default is for shipping plugins that provide standard functionality, but it would be nice in any case if we could just flip a switch to change between static and dynamic builds for the in-tree stuff."

What's the reason for supporting both static and dynamic plugin types?

Assuming that eliminating the static plugin type entirely would simplify the build / link process, and that the static plugin type exists largely due to performance concerns: if we could prove that dynamic linking didn't have a significant impact on performance, could we use that as rationale for eliminating static plugin linkage entirely?

Cheers,
Gilbert