[Bro-Dev] Dynamic plugin model (Re: [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/robin/dynamic-plugins-2.3: Start of a plugin writing how-to. (87a1618))

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Dec 20 10:09:39 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 18:55 -0500, you wrote:

> What's the reason for supporting both static and dynamic plugin types?

That's exactly what I haven't really made up my mind about yet. :) I
think there's benefit to having a single Bro binary that comes with
all the standard functionality. One piece is portability: dynamic
linking may not be feasible/possible on some platforms (like tiny
devices, or exotic OSs where our cmake setup may fail to do the right
thing). And I generally like the notion of having just a single binary
with all the standard code included; means less can go wrong (like
version mismatches, etc.)

In terms of performance, I wouldn't be too worried actually, although
it's something that needs testing.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin