[Bro-Dev] Organizing plugins (Re: [JIRA] (BIT-1222) topic/robin/reader-writer-plugins)
robin at icir.org
Tue Aug 5 14:41:53 PDT 2014
On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 22:03 +0000, you wrote:
> Yeah, seems like a reasonable first-step. I’m wondering if it makes
> sense to break them up even further in to separate repos like
> "dataseries-bro-plugin" and "elasticsearch-bro-plugin” ?
Yeah, I'm torn on this. It does make sense for the reasons you give,
but one repository also has its appeal:
- it's easy to just get them all by cloning, or packaging, the one
- administratively, we just need to manage/mirror one repo.
- we can add some infrastructure to the repo to easily build and
test them all at once, including as part of Jenkins.
- we can market that one repo as a vetted source for plugins,
including plugins maintained externally that follow certain
standards, like having a maintainer who fixes problems and makes
sure it works with the current release (we'd ping that person
when something breaks and remove the plugin if there's no fix).
- independent of what we do, people can of course still have their
own repos elsewhere anyways.
 That said, maybe even that is already more effort than we really
want to invest into external code?
Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL * Fax +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin
More information about the bro-dev