[Bro-Dev] Organizing plugins (Re: [JIRA] (BIT-1222) topic/robin/reader-writer-plugins)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Aug 5 14:41:53 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 22:03 +0000, you wrote:

> Yeah, seems like a reasonable first-step.  I’m wondering if it makes
> sense to break them up even further in to separate repos like
> "dataseries-bro-plugin" and "elasticsearch-bro-plugin” ?

Yeah, I'm torn on this. It does make sense for the reasons you give,
but one repository also has its appeal:

    - it's easy to just get them all by cloning, or packaging, the one
      thing.

    - administratively, we just need to manage/mirror one repo.

    - we can add some infrastructure to the repo to easily build and
      test them all at once, including as part of Jenkins.

    - we can market that one repo as a vetted source for plugins,
      including plugins maintained externally that follow certain
      standards, like having a maintainer who fixes problems and makes
      sure it works with the current release (we'd ping that person
      when something breaks and remove the plugin if there's no fix).
      [1]

    - independent of what we do, people can of course still have their
      own repos elsewhere anyways.

Opinions?

Robin

[1] That said, maybe even that is already more effort than we really
want to invest into external code?

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin