[Bro-Dev] Organizing plugins (Re: [JIRA] (BIT-1222) topic/robin/reader-writer-plugins)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Aug 7 09:14:34 PDT 2014

All good questions. We still have a lot figure out with all of this,
would certainly be nice to be able to do "yum install bro-my-plugin".
Right now the only built-in way to distribute plugins as binaries is
"make bdist" with provided skeleton Makefile: that builds tarball with
everything that the plugin needs at runtime.

I also realized another problem (maybe) with the current skeleton for
writing plugins: it doesn't keep things nicely inside a single build
directory, as we usually do with all cmake-built stuff (there's a
reason for why not, but a few sylinks could probably solve that).

Anyways, I would still like to go ahead with things just as they are
now (assuming we manage to not break anything/much). Nothing's cast in
stone, but I think it will work better to work this out once things
are in master so that people start using it.

Robin