[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 5 08:18:27 PDT 2016

> On Jun 4, 2016, at 1:40 PM, Jan Grashöfer <jan.grashoefer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> find a new name for the same thing. But to me a bundle/package is
> something different: It's a deployment unit, acting as some sort of
> container (usually enriched by metadata). A plugin/script itself could
> be used with Bro but wrapping it into the container allows to manage it
> (e.g. in terms of version, dependencies, etc.).

I see what you’re saying, but it’s not in agreement with how the “manager” client has been designed so far: it will be able to manage arbitrary plugins without requiring them to present metadata or be wrapped in any special container.  Granted, the presence of metadata allows better forms of management, but there will still be some basic plugin management going on whether or not it exists.