[Bro-Dev] Broker::publish API

Robin Sommer robin at corelight.com
Tue Aug 14 09:53:06 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:51 -0500, Jonathan Siwek wrote:

> Not sure, is Broker::auto_publish() currently able to do the same thing?

Hmm .. Good point. Scope is different between the two (event vs topic)
but the effect is similar in the end.

> I can also see the opposite being intuitive: If I told
> Broker::subscribe() to raise locally, then I get just always use
> Broker::publish() and not think about the difference between using
> "event" versus "publish".  Would Broker::auto_publish() be removable
> then?

I would like to say "yes" (because I like the subscribe() approach
better than auto_publish() :-), but would that work well with our
cluster topics? If we didn't have the event-specific auto_publish(),
we would have to turn on local raise for *all* events going to, e.g.,
bro/cluster/worker. And thinking about it, maybe that's in fact also
an argument against my original thinking how this could help unify
scripts --- well, unless we'd go with Jan's thought of subtopics
(e.g., subscribe("bro/cluster/worker/intel", local_raise=T).

Robin Sommer * Corelight, Inc. * robin at corelight.com * www.corelight.com